“Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but paddling like the dickens underneath.”

~Michael Caine

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Comma to the top

I was born and raised in Louisiana. Most everyone there has some sort of accent. Northern and Western Louisiana has a twangy accent (being so close to Texas). Southern Louisiana has a Cajun french accent. Eastern Louisiana has an accent that has kind of a New York/Chicago sound to it. But, there are some people that make up their own version of the English language.

My brother told me a story involving one of these people. I will attempt to re-tell this story now.So, my brother is waiting in line at the blood bank. There is a woman in line ahead of him. The receptionist asks "Hi ma'am, what is your name?". She replies "R'nez". The receptionist asks politely "Can you spell that for me?". Then with annoyance in her voice she answers (I will try to spell this phonetically) "Ah-ra comma t-da top N-E-Z."

I laughed so hard that I thought I might split in two. Comma to the top. Of course what she meant was apostrophe but I guess a new term for that is comma to the top. What's next? Double comma to the top for quotations? I couldn't help but share this one. It was just too funny.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Oh, you intellectual elitist! Are you sure you're from Louisiana and not New England? Right now, your husband is somewhere, picking his nose while farting and weeping at the thought his wife is such a snob that she refuses to acknowledge all the commas up there! :-(

beebee said...

Well we'll forgive Ian for forming that opinion without ever having lived in this part of the country. I find it interesting that most individuals are anthropocentric. I think it is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.
oxoxoxoxo