“Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but paddling like the dickens underneath.”

~Michael Caine

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween

Ok, so I have a few things to say about Halloween.
First, I have noticed that Halloween has become the one day every year that women are given permission to dress like skanky you-know-whats. Sexy, firefighter, nurse, bumblebee, witch, cheerleader, angel, devil, Cinderella, Snow White, pirate, ladybug, leprechaun, and the list goes on...
Second, these costumes are being made for and marketed to the younger crowd. Like 11 and 12 year old girls. What happened to good ole' fashioned creativity? From this day forward I vow to have my kids participate in the making of their costumes.

Lastly, I will tell you the story of our costume situation for this year. Every year I want to dress in costume and have Ty participate also. It doesn't always work out because of our busy lives and we just end up taking the kids trick-or-treating in plainclothes. But being that I would be turning 30 this year I really wanted to dress up and do something fun. After searching through the endless amounts of SEXY costumes that I don't have the body to wear anymore, I ran across some cute ideas. I decided to be a flower in a pot. I made a head piece with pink tulle, cut out the bottom of a huge plastic terracotta pot and added felt suspender straps. Bought a long-sleeved green shirt and green shorts and will wear brown tights and shoes. It turned out really cute. Emma will be a butterfly this year so we will compliment each other nicely. I decided to make a gnome cap for Tommy and dress him up in a plaid shirt and overalls. And then there's Ty. Yes, my poor creativity-lacking husband. He said that he would shop around to find things to dress up as a gardener. I thought that a gardener would tie our 'family costume' together very well. So I thought he would be getting a plaid shirt and overalls at the thrift store, wear his straw hat and his Crocs and he would be a gardener. Boy was I wrong.

I came home last night and he said, 'Let me show you what I got today.'. He said, 'I couldn't find overalls and didn't really want to wear jeans so I thought I'd be a florist instead of a gardener.' 'OK', I said, 'Let me see.' Out of this black plastic shopping bag (I recognized it from the thrift store down the hill) he pulls out an orange polo shirt that has some environmental logo on the front, a green pair of 2XL women's capri pajama pants, a pink tye-dye bandanna, a polka-dot purse, a pink and purple feather boa and a pair of periwinkle blue, lace 2xl crotchless panties. A FLORIST?!? I don't know any florist that dresses this way even the ones in Hillcrest. So he proceeds to put on the apparel that he bought. I won't describe to you what he looked like. He mentioned that the lady at the check-out counter was giving him strange looks. Well, for heavens sakes, I can't imagine why. I know I would be eyeing a man with 2 kids at a thrift store buying periwinkle blue, lace crotchless panties. I gave him an 'A' for effort. Poor thing. I felt bad. He was so cute showing me his purchases. I honestly believe that he wouldn't be comfortable in it anyway.

We ended up at Wal-Mart, oops, I mean Walton's buying sweatpants, a thermal shirt and red felt. He will be a garden gnome, like Tommy. Maybe I'll let him wear the crotchless panties over his sweatpants. It might add a little flair to his costume.

3 comments:

beebee said...

too cute!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!
beebee

steph said...

crotchless panties...ewww. cute idea for the family costumes though, sounds like it will be a fun night trick or treating

Anonymous said...

too cute!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!
beebee