“Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but paddling like the dickens underneath.”

~Michael Caine

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Emma Grace Schaeffer Rose

So yesterday while I was driving Emma to school, we were discussing the proper spelling of all of her names. She spelled "E-M-M-A" then we went on to "G-R-A-C-E" then to "S-C-H-A-E-F-F-E-R". She had trouble with this one so we sung our last name to to a little tune to help her remember how to spell it. After talking about this for a little while, she proclaimed that 3 names is not enough and that she has to have 4 names. She then said "My name is Emma Grace Schaeffer Rose." How could I argue with such a pretty name? After all she is as pretty as a rose.
And I have to say that my little girl has some pretty awesome manners. The other night, I was enjoying a small after dinner treat. Every few minutes, she would crane her neck to see if my bowl was empty. When my bow finally was empty, she got up, took my bowl and spoon and put it in the sink. What a sweet girl I have. It may seem like a little thing to you, but to me it shows that she has great observation skills and will be a wonderful care-taker. She is eager to help with anything and is always looking for praise (which I try to give her at every opportunity). She always says "Please" and "Thank you", "Bless-you" and "Your Welcome". She constantly says "I have the best family." or "You're the best mommy." I'm so proud of this little girl. There are few moments in motherhood where you feel like you are doing something right or that you are doing enough. It's times like this that remind me that I'm doing alright. Of course I've made mistakes and there will be many more to make. But more often than not, she makes me feel like a good mom.

PS: Emma and her class made a Thanksgiving banner. On it the teacher wrote all the things that the kids were thankful for. Some kids were thankful for food, others for toys. Emma was thankful for her family. Gosh, what this little girl could teach some people.

2 comments:

beebee said...

she is so insightful.
beebee

Ashley said...

She really is a rose! I know just what you mean in your pride for her caring. Nothing makes me happier than to see my children caring about and helping each other.